What is this blog about?

My name is Lori. In August, 2014, I plan to hike the Camino de Santiago trail. Feel free to join me on my adventure by following me on this blog.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

It's day 4 of seven in the 100 mile wilderness. This is the first night that I have had service. It's raining, so I am in my tent early. Good time to catch up the blog!
We have really been enjoying the AT since I last wrote in Stratton. We have had to ford several streams, and now they are just getting annoying. I seem to waste too much time looking for a way to rock hop, then finally take off my shoes to switch to my water shoes and walk across. I never learn! Most streams have been easy to cross, and some have a rope to hold onto. There was one that was thigh deep, and a quick current, making it a bit difficult. 

One river, the Kennebec river, is one that we actually cross by canoe because it is too dangerous to ford. Hillbilly Dave runs the shuttle in the morning and early evening. 

We made a stop in the town of Caratunk half way from Stratton to Monson. We stayed at Northern Outdoors. What a great place! After two days of a cold front, we had a nice sunny day there. They have a huge hot tub and heated pool. It was quite the site because all us hikers were in the pool and hot tub in our underwear all day. 

It was a great little side vacation before the 100 mile wilderness. 

This was our welcome sign as we enter the wilderness, but we have been pleasantly surprised. The trail the first three days was tough, but well manicured. We even got trail magic one night. A sign at an old unused road instructed us to go a quarter mile one direction, and viola! It met with another road where there was a small old cabin, and a guy cooking steak, corn on the cob, and lobster! I have been vegetarian for 14 years, but have recently started to eat fish sometimes to help out on the trail. I have never had lobster before. I got the last one. I don't know about regular lobster, but this fresh Maine lobster was pretty good! (once I got over how gross it looked) the dude giving the trail magic was excited that it was my first, and helped me take it apart. 

The trail has continued to be as beautiful as can be!

I am really trying to take it all in these last days. I'm going to miss the endless scenery, and all the great people. 
Cutest couple awards on the trail: 1-Longstride and Silvergirl. Sometimes I hear them reading to each other at nigh in their tent. 2- Easy and Gravity. I hear them  giggling together in their tent. Both couples have the kind of relationship in their marriage that I hope to have some day. Also, 3-Chickadee and Lobster. Such a cute couple! Lobster helps Chickadee put her backpack on, just like Turtle always did for Snail. 
I have really enjoyed camping by streams and ponds in Maine!
Yesterday, we were on top of white cap mountain, and we could see our final destination. Mount Katahdin!

We are hoping for good weather this weekend so we can climb the big one!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! So exciting!! And you got to eat Maine Lobster in MAINE!!! I am so JEALOUS!!! You look so awesome!!
    LOVE YOU TONS!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. We are all so proud of you.

    Mike B.
    Riverview, FL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome you got to enjoy great Maine lobster!

    Sounds like you are enjoying yourself, terrific!

    :)

    ReplyDelete