What is this blog about?

My name is Lori. In August, 2014, I plan to hike the Camino de Santiago trail. Feel free to join me on my adventure by following me on this blog.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

I'm in Maine!! 
Don't we look like a bunch of bad-to-the-bone backpackers?

So far, Maine is difficult, but beautiful. Though the terrain is rugged and steep, I don't feel like it is quite as dangerous as new Hampshire. This makes it a lot more enjoyable for me. We have planned out some pretty conservative miles for the remainder of our hike so that we can enjoy our last weeks. Good thing we did that, because the miles are still exhausting ones. 
Some people refer to Maine as "water world". There are so many ponds and lakes, even high in the mountains. 

I have been wanting to see a moose, but still no sighting for me. Hopefully I'll get to see one before Katahdin. 
A couple days ago, we went through Mahoosuc notch, which is labeled in the guidebook as "the most difficult, or fun mile on the AT". I guess it was fun, but my body sure hurt afterwards. All night, my knees were aching despite taking plenty of Motrin. This mile took us two and a half hours to do. It is a huge rock scramble where you are climbing over and under big boulders. Many times we were squatting down or even kneeling on our knees. At one time we were laying down scooting like a worm! Sparky might kill me for this pic, but obviously I don't have one of myself, nor would I post such an embarrassing pic of myself! Hahaha

The next day, we climbed the Mahoosuc arm, which is a half mile of flat sheer rock face to climb up. Actually, there has been a lot of that, and my calves are screaming at me. The shins don't appreciate going down them either. One southbound hiker told me that she thought that Maine was like one big obstacle course. I guess she is right, so far.  

Yesterday, we had some unexpected rain, and a lot of it. I managed to take a pretty hard fall walking down some slippery rock steps. At first, I was afraid I broke my arm, it hurt so bad. After sitting a while, the pain condensed down to my right hand that tried to catch my fall. For the rest of the day, I had difficulty gripping that hand and was worried it was injured. I went to bed at 6:30 pm with a cocktail of pain remedies. By morning, it was much better. A little bruised up, but no big harm done. My trekking pole didn't fair too well though. It is now nicely bent until I can get it to an outfitter for repair. I am in Andover for the night at the Pine Ellis Hostel. It is simple, but cozy. 

Sometimes you camp in a cloud making everything a bit wet and cold. Then you hike up, and see how beautiful it is. 

Miles hiked: 1927.3
Miles to go: 256.9

3 comments:

  1. Very Beautiful!!! Hopefully that's the last fall you will have! Take extra care during this last part!!
    Love Ya Tons!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do look like "Bad to the Bone Hikers!!". I'm with your Mom on taking care this last stretch. Enjoy!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an obstacle course. It makes my shins hurt just reading about the rocks. Thank goodness you did not break anything. We are so proud of you.
    Vicki and Dave

    ReplyDelete