What is this blog about?

My name is Lori. In August, 2014, I plan to hike the Camino de Santiago trail. Feel free to join me on my adventure by following me on this blog.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pumped Up Kicks

Well, it has been 2 months since my 56 mile training on the AT in hot, drought conditions. If you read my last post, you remember I was pretty shaken down after that trip and not sure if I was tough enough for a thru hike after all.
Today, I am still planning and spending money on a thru hike, so I guess it will take a lot more to truly shake me down. I am excited, but damn nervous.
I have decided to take things in at a little smaller scale. For instance, I hope to do a thru hike next year...but my first goal is to complete the first 2 weeks. After that, my goal to is to finish a month. After that, 2 months. You see where this is going, right??
I was heartbroken at the fact that I might have to give up on a dream. That is not acceptable. It is not acceptable to have a broken heart about something that doesn't have to be a missed dream. If this dream lasts 2 weeks, it is still an awesome dream. If it last 6 months and ends at Katahdin, then awesome!! However, if that is where it ends, I hope my friends and family are prepared for endless trail stories for as long as I shall live! haha
I recently started chapter two of my shakedown. I have a tentative trip planned in Georgia with some backpacking friends. It will be a different group of friends this time, and it will not be hot. In fact it will be at the end Nov.
I am a WIMP in the cold, so here is my chance to see where my limits are on that end of the thermometer. I have a synthetic zero degree sleeping bag, which probably means more like a 20 degree bag if thinking of comfort for me. I am yet to purchase my cold weather clothing, so that is my assignment for the next month.
Today I had some equipment arrive from my favorite store, www.moosejaw.com
I got some Leki hiking poles, and some new dry bags from Granite Gear to try out. They were recommended for use as food bags, etc from an employee at the Neels Gap hiker hostel store. I got 3 sizes and will try them out on my next outing. They are very light, and I am excited to try them out.

I also recently purchased an iphone, which will be my lifeline on the trail. I discovered an app for the AT that includes maps and information on the trail, just like the trail books that people carry. I will still carry pages of the trail books, as not to rely on technology, but these apps will be a great resource.

sincerely,
pumped-up

1 comment:

  1. Woot! You go girl! Go all the way! :) You can do it. What ever "it" might end up being, I know you can do it! Rock it!

    ReplyDelete