What is this blog about?

My name is Lori. In August, 2014, I plan to hike the Camino de Santiago trail. Feel free to join me on my adventure by following me on this blog.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Do These Pants Make Me Look Fat?


Well, my winter clothing is on its way. I took some advise on a couple items, and went all out. I decided that for me, it was best to be over the top with warm gear rather than not being warm enough. I think I am much more likely to quit if I am freezing.

I have a pair of icebreaker 260 leggings coming, which I got on sale for $78. Thanks for the Good Badger for the recommendation. I also splurged on Montbell UL down inner pants. (I have the down jacket already) I have been watching, but haven't ever caught these on sale, so I hope they are as valuable as I have heard for night. I still cant believe that I just spent $150 on pants that are going to, by design, make me look really fat! hahaha Now THAT is devotion!


I also got a pair of capilene 2 bottoms that were on a good sale, and an icebreaker tech T light top, which was also on a great sale. This is the first time I have purchased from www.campsaver.com and they have a 100% satisfaction return policy, so if any of my items do not make me happy, I can return them and they even pay return shipping. They are based out of Utah, too! (where I was born and raised)

As if the amount of money I have spent on gear in the last year isn't enough...I am also thinking of my food choices.
I found a great retailer of backpacking food. packlightfoods.com
I have tried several of the meals, and they are fantastic. They also come in 1 large serving, rather than two, so they are just the right amount, and are light weight. Another benefit for me is that they are 100% vegetarian. I know that it might be difficult for me to get great nutrition on the trail as a vegetarian, so I need to do more drop boxes than most people might care to do.  
Drop boxes are packages that I have sent to me along the trail. There are multiple hostels, stores, and PO offices where I can have a box shipped to me. I will have a couple friends at home with all my premade boxes. I will let them know my next location and when to send which box. This is how I will resupply any medications I will be carrying, food, replacement shoes, etc.
This brings me to my next aha" moment. [Buying food for my thru hike] The gear is expensive, but It will get used, no matter how much of the trail I complete. Buying almost 6 months worth of food makes me feel like, oh darn, I guess I better be committed to making it all the way! Well, I am already committed...but somehow buying 6 months worth of trail food makes me feel that much MORE pressure.

Less than 5 months to go! So much planning and preparation done, and so much still to do!!
Baby steps...just quicker baby steps, from this point on!

Aww! I already miss my baby Maggie! We both wish she could come with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment